Office: 9:00 – 5:00, Monday – Friday.
Who We Are
- Pre-Kindergarten Book Bag Program: 2,000 young children under the age of six receive a weekly book bag filled with four age-appropriate books. Books are kept for a week, returned and then replaced with another four books ongoing throughout the school year. Weekly book bags are distributed through 94 early childhood programs and preschool classrooms from Aspen to Parachute.
- Book Bag Program for Early Readers: This brand new program, launched in Parachute in fall 2013, engages parents in the learn-to-read process at home when their children are in kindergarten and 1st grade. Children take home four books each week – two for parents to read-aloud and two first-reader titles for practice time with parents.
- Family Literacy Events and Workshops: Parents learn how to turn any storybook into an exploration of concepts, personal experiences, conversations, word games, alphabet and the sounds of language. Parents of K-1st children also learn how to guide their child during reading practice at home. When families bond through shared reading, children develop a powerful attachment to books and learning.
- Raising A Reader Outreach: Provides weekly book bags and parent education where at-risk children are not enrolled in preschool. Families meet with us weekly in six locations from Basalt to Rifle (in churches, schools, libraries and other neighborhood locations).
- Library Introduction: 70 Raising A Reader classrooms take a field trip each spring to their community’s library. Children receive a blue canvas Raising Reader library bag, their first library card and the opportunity to check out their first library books.
- Classroom Volunteers sign up to model love of books through regular read-aloud sessions in classrooms. Fifty (50) volunteers participate.
What We Do
Raising A Reader Aspen to Parachute fosters early literacy bonds between children and their parents to ensure that all young children from Aspen to Parachute develop a love of books and the skills to become successful readers. The organization provides the families of 2,300 local children, toddler to age six, with a weekly book bag – and four books for every child – every week throughout the school year. Additionally, our family literacy sessions provide parents with guidance to help families develop the knowledge and skills required to build early literacy aptitude and reading success at home.
|PO Box 2533
Glenwood Springs, CO 81602
|Physical Office Location: 817 Colorado Ave., Suite 205, Glenwood Springs, CO|